After talking with my husband and the vet (all before 8:20 a.m.), we’ve decided to euthanize Mama Cat. She’s so wild the vet can’t do anything with her.
If they were to spay her, we’d have to keep her confined for 10 days at our house to allow her to heal. The vet is terrified that Ed or I would end up bitten, scratched up, or both.
It’s breaking my heart (I’ve been crying for the better part of 30 minutes), but I think this is the best decision. The vet says they’ll cremate her and spread her ashes, along with those of some other animals, on a nearby farm.
This is my first experience with euthanizing an animal. She wasn’t even my cat. I don’t even want to think about what it will be like when it is.